Berlin – Kreuzberg
East of Gropius-Bau, the Berlin Wall ran from west to east, and the area immediately south is called Kreuzberg, this eventful Berlin neighborhood is known for its large numbers of immigrants and "alternatives."” groups of residents and nightlife. There are practically two Kreuzbergs: west - bounded by Friedrichstrasse, Viktoriapark i Siidstern, who is richer, neater and calmer than the eastern - sometimes referred to as SO 36, from the zip code. The eastern Kreuzberg is the center of events in Berlin, where West German youth used to come, to play alternative politics, shelter from military service or just run away. Despite, that there is not much to see here, Kreuzberg remains the best place for a pub or nightclub trip.
Let's start with the west. From Gropius-Bau you walk a little south along Stresemann Strasse to the remains of Anhalter Bahnhof station, which are a sad memento of the ill-considered actions of municipal authorities that deserve the name of vandalism. The Anhalter Bahnhof was once the greatest train station in Berlin (and in Europe) connecting the city with the south of the continent. Completed in 1870 year and suffered only minor damage during the war, though it was stripped of its roof. Despite attempts to keep it as a future museum, w 1952 year was blown up, mainly because, that someone has made an attractive offer to buy bricks. Currently, only a fragment of the facade remains, reminding of the former splendor of the building. ground, where the station once stood is completely unused, but though there is nothing to see here except getting nowhere and stretches of track, this place has a specific atmosphere. By the way, the austere and shapeless building on one side of the station is a fortified warehouse-bunker from the war.
West Kreuzberg is easier to reach by U-Bahn # 1 getting off at Móckernbriicke station; the funicular goes above the ground among old warehouses and grossly tall post-war buildings. Crossing the Landwehrkanal to the south and turning right along the Templehofer Ufer, you pass the crumbling, but still highly decorative public toilets built in the early 1900s; gentlemen can take care of their physiological needs in stylish interiors from Bismarck's times.
A little further, at Trebbiner Str. 9 houses the Museum of Transport and Technology (Museum of Transport and Technology, wt.-pt. 9.00-18.00, under. i nd. 10.00-18.00; 3.5 DM, students and children 1.5 DM). It is one of the nicest museums in the city, where children and DIY enthusiasts will have great fun. In the technology department, you can play scientific experiments, set the antique machines in motion and sit down in front of the computer monitor, as well as admire elegant old cars and airplanes. Transport museum, which consists of a collection of old steam locomotives and wagons, it is even more impressive; the old machines were put to rest in the former Anhalter Bahnhof repair shop.
Viktoriapark, to which you have to walk half an hour back the same way, we came from the U-Bahn station - Grossbeeren Strasse towards the south. The park is situated on the slopes of a hill and is one of the most beautiful in the city, with a charming stream meandering among trees and greenery. There are several cafes in the streets surrounding it, and on summer afternoons there is no better place to relax. At the top of the hill is a cross designed by Schinkel in memory of the Napoleonic Wars (rather reminiscent of a neoclassical church turret), to which Kreuzberg owes its name. The view behind the hills is also nice, which is made even more enjoyable by the aromas rising from the Schultheiss brewery on the southern slopes.
To the south and east of Viktoriapark, buildings are giving way to flat areas, where the Tempelhof military airport is located. It was built by the Nazis, and in years 1948-49 the allies used them to break the Berlin blockade, this contributed to an increase in anti-Soviet sentiment among Western Berliners, and gained popularity for the occupying armies. During the period of the greatest intensification of the drops, planes landed every minute and Luftbruckendenkmal. a monument at the entrance to the airport symbolizing the three air corridors used, commemorates the deaths of seventy airmen and eight ground crew members, who died on landing.